Thursday, April 8, 2010

CANcon

I was thinking last night about something I started a few years ago and haven't really continued. Several years I decided to eliminate all popular culture from my life. I decided to start with radio/music, then move to tv, then who knows... I don't think it ever occurred to me to eliminate films. I'm such a huge film junkie. I love seeing films!!!

I decided last night that I should continue what I started - keeping in mind I've only 99% scaled back on tv, but I still consider that a success. I'm giving up films. No, that's way too intense. I'll give up Hollywood films.

Canadian films only.

Should I include docs? Should I allow myself a periodic Hollywood film? Foreign language and zero budget films?

Canadian films and docs. I can do that. Paul Gross' Gunless is coming out in the next few weeks and so is the new April Mullen/Tim Doiron adventure called 'Gravytrain.' Bruce MacDonald is working on something. I saw the new Adam Egoyan and it was great. I've been watching a lot of RPS lately too.

I'll keep you posted on how this goes and in the meantime go see some can/con. There are lots of great homegrown films out there!

peace.

3 comments:

  1. i like the suggestion but it seems a bit extreme. maybe just beef up on cancon but make foreign allowances, and even allow shitty movies for those days you're bloated and tired and want to be wrapped up in a blanket & not using your brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you just described how I feel right now! I agree that it is extreme and maybe I should still include all foreign and art house films. That would still allow more than I can see in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your desire to watch Canadian and foreign films, but I can't get myself to do that. Have you seen Death Proof and Planet Terror? They really nailed the feel of 70s movies with those two! Good luck with your final projects at school!

    ReplyDelete